You are here
The Templeton Chamber of Commerce promotes economic vitality, quality of life, and encourages cooperation within our community.
Templeton Chamber of Commerce History
The original Templeton Board of Trade was formed in 1913 to promote trade and commerce, for the promotion of work, and for advertising to encourage growth in the community.
In May of 1979, a town meeting was held to determine whether or not to revitalize the Board of Trade. It was overwhelmingly accepted and a new organization known as the Templeton Chamber of Commerce - Board of Trade was formed. This was in keeping with the original historical name, but also realizing the need to be a member of a nationally recognized organization such as the Chamber of Commerce.
The organization consists of local businesses, professionals and individual members who are committed to promoting economic vitality, quality of life, and encouraging cooperation within our community.
Templeton was founded in 1886 when C.H. Phillips of the West Coast Land Company sent R.R. Harris to survey 160 acres south of Paso Robles. This acreage was to be laid out in business and residential lots and 5-12 acre parcels for a town named "Crocker" after the famous San Francisco financier. When it was discovered that there was already a town by that name, this settlement became "Templeton", named after Crocker's son. This is the only town along the El Camino Real named for a person rather than a saint.
Templeton was fathered by the railroad, built on the main highway between San Francisco and Los Angeles and, in its heyday, had a reputation for its saloon brawls and wild 'n' rough street scenes. The town was the end of the line for passengers coming from the north. Tourists disembarked here and took a stagecoach south to San Luis Obispo. In 1891 the railroad continued south and the town was reduced to a flag stop and is now a bypass.
In 1897 there was a great fire which burned most of the business district. The town was rebuilt, but not to its former glory. In 1965, Josephine Gilfillan wrote for the Paso Robles Press a series of pieces on Templeton. Newcomers kept asking, "Why was Templeton was built so close to Paso Robles and Atascadero," she said. "I wanted to tell them that Templeton came first."
Today, Templeton is a small, quiet town with a strong community spirit and a vision to preserve its colorful past.
- Contact Us